Black Friday is almost here, (two days to go!) but unless you’ve been living in a hole, you can’t fail to have noticed that many retailers such as Amazon, Argos, and Tesco’s have some of their best deals already on offer.
The pre-Christmas sales bonanza that we inherited from our friends in the U.S. about five years ago, isn’t supposed to begin until Friday – the day after Thanksgiving. However, retailers are so keen to snaffle our cash that they’ve been dangling large, carrot-shaped Black Friday bargains in front of our noses for days.
Black Friday always used to be a one-day affair when the nation sat back in horror and amusement as punch-ups over knockdown TVs made news headlines, but someone, somewhere (we’re not sure who) appears to have re-written the rule book. Now, almost everyone is getting in on the act early.
This year, Amazon was the first horse out of the box launching Black Friday deals daily from November 14. Morrisons followed suit, tempting shoppers with bargains on prosecco, wine and beer. eBay then jumped on the bandwagon, as did Argos, Boots, Tesco and Carphone Warehouse, to name but a few.
So is Black Friday redundant?
No. Some shops may have released deals early, but many are promising new and better deals come Black Friday itself. Other stores are standing firm, refusing to unveil any deals ahead of the big day, so there will definitely be some bargains to be had. We will round up all the best deals and where to find them here, so keep an eye out.
What are the best deals?
ASOS has a host of Black Friday deals lined up for its Cyber Weekend but the online retailer is already offering up to 70% off some of its Outlet products.
You can find the best deals on the ASOS Black Friday page, but here are a few bargains already on offer:
House Of Holland Natural Hair Backpack (Women)– now £145 reduced from £260
Helene Berman Longline Trench Coat (Women)- now £118 reduced from £210.00
French Connection Fishtail Hooded Mac (Men) now £60 reduced from £120
Rudie Slim Fit Suit in Paddy Brown (Men) – now £73 reduced from £125
The online retail giant launched daily deals on Monday, November 14, vowing to end them at 23:59 on Friday November 25 – and not a minute later. Wednesday’s deals include savings across a range of products, including these brilliant deals:
- Up to 50 per cent off Levi jeans – bargains on various fits, including slim taper and Levi’s original fit
- Clean freaks will love this Vax Steam Fresh Combi Classic 10-in-1 Handheld and Steam Mop – now £39.99, reduced from £149.99 (73 per cent off)
- We all know that “only 10 per cent battery” feeling, so power-up with this EasyAcc Portable external battery for £18.39, reduced from £99.99 (82 per cent saving – Lightning Deal)
The store has a 13 day sale with discounts on big ticket items like Dyson vacuum cleaners, and TVs, plus 25 per cent off indoor furniture if you spend more than £150.
- Dyson V6 Flexi Cordless vacuum cleaner – this cleaner is highly rated by customers praising it for being light, easy to use and with excellent suction and battery life. £189.99, reduced from £319 (saving £130)
- Sony MDR-AS400EX headphones – splashproof headphones with loop hangers for a secure fit when you exercise. £19.99, reduced from £39.99 (save £20)
- Samsung Full HD LED TV 49 inch – highly rated by customers for its easy set-up and fantastic picture. £449, reduced from £559 (save £110)
- Bush Spira B1 10 inch 32GB tablet, silver – this tablet has plenty of room for all your selfies, favourite apps and games. Also comes with front and rear facing cameras. £79.99, reduced from £149.99 (45 percent saving)
- PS4 Slim 500GB Watch Dogs 2 Console Bundle – Ubisoft Montreal’s open-world adventure game comes with the bundle, which includes the slimmer and lighter PS4 console. £239
Apple has been teasing tech fans with promise of a one-day Black Friday sale this year. It didn’t take part last year, and has offered some fairly modest discounts in previous years, with the odd free gift card here and there.
So gadget fans – standby for money off iPhones, MacBooks, iPads, Apple Watch, music and any sort of Apple tech accessory you can think of. In the meantime, many retailers are discounting these Apple goods, if you just can’t wait.
- Apple Macbook Pro 13 inch Laptop 128 GB, silver 2015 – the 2015 model, with a 2.7 GHz processor, intel core i5, 8 GB of internal memory and 128 GB of storage. £1,041 at Amazon, reduced from £1,249 (17 per cent saving)
- Apple MacBook Air 128GB – in short, the Macbook Air is a thinner and lighter version of the Pro, albeit with a few minor omissions in terms of features available. Comes with 12 hours of battery life, and is an ideal investment for a young professional or student on the go. £869 at Costco, reduced from £899
Boots launched its Black Friday offers on Saturday, with more than 50 per cent off some electric toothbrushes and Braun shavers as well as deals on electricals, beauty and fragrance.
- Oral-B Pro 6500 Black SmartSeries Electric Toothbrush with Bluetooth Connectivity – this toothbrush is like having your own personal dentist – it will tell you if your brushing isn’t up to scratch and will track your brushing progress – £69.99, reduced from £190.00
- BaByliss Diamond Radiance Curl Secret and Hair Dryer Shine Collection Gift Set – a great value gift set for drying, styling and producing a perfect curl for your Christmas party – £89.99, reduced from £179.99
The store is offering up to half price on certain items every day this week, including beauty, health and electrical items, furniture and 40 per cent off toys.
- Debenhams Bonded leather ‘Bjorn’ recliner chair and stool – the man in your life will love this recliner chair and footstool. It comes in black, brown and cream. £166.50, reduced from £370 (50 per cent off)
- Morphy Richards PerfectTemp steam iron 300002 – this iron boasts 40g of constant steam to soften creases and a 190g “turbo boost shot” to tackle hard to reach areas. £35, reduced from £70 (50 per cent off)
Supermarket giant Tesco has an 11 day period of deals and savings – up from just four days last year. It began online at midnight on Monday, November 21 and will continue on through to Thursday, December 1. The main event on Black Friday itself will see Tesco Extra stores across the country opening at 5am.
- Tefal Admire 6-piece aluminium saucepan – a great set for getting started in the kitchen, and all these pans are dishwasher proof. Perfect for students who hate washing up – was £150, now £60 (40 per cent saving)
- Tunturi Classic Run 3.0 treadmill – get in shape for Christmas on this bargain running machine. The running deck folds up too so you can store it away when you’ve given up – was £1,499.99, now £799 (47 per cent saving)
- Grand Theft Auto V (PS4) – the perfect present or stocking filler for gaming fans – at half price, it’s a top deal – was £46, now £23 (50 per cent saving)
All of these contract deals come with 500MB of data.
- Samsung S7 – no up-front cost for the phone / £24 per month contract on Vodafone – £200 saving
- iPhone 6s 32GB – £59.99 for the phone / £28 per month contract on Vodafone – £200 saving
- Sony XZ – no up-front cost for the phone / £28 per month contract on Vodafone – £200 saving
- There’s also 50 per cent off all Kate Spade phones cases and 25 per cent off all Mophie Power Stations
Online auction giant eBay began its sale Thursday, November 17 and will reveal new offers each day until Tuesday, November 29.
Today’s deals include:
- PS4 Slim 500GB Console + Lego Star Wars Bundle for £219.99 (12 per cent off)
Buy Playstation’s new console, slimmer and lighter than before (Hand with an updated DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controller), with LEGO’s take on last year’s Star Wars revival blockbuster.
- Sony CMTS20BMK Sound System for £99.99 (50 per cent off)
Originally £199.99, this Sony sound system has DAB radio and Micro HiFi with bluetooth.
- Acer Aspire ES AMD E1 Laptop for £179.99
This 15.6″ notebook laptop comes with 4GB memory, 1TB of storage and a CineCrystal LED backlit TFT LCD display.
- Bush Classic Retro Suitcase Turntable for £29.99 (40 per cent off)
Add a retro touch to your home with this classic turntable, which has a built-in stereo speaker with three speeds (35, 45, 78).
Be in the know
There’s a few simple things you can do to make sure you stay ahead of the game during the Black Friday mega-shop.
Info: Sign up to store emails so you get all the information first. It’s worth following them on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram too. If you’re after something from Amazon, Amazon Prime is worth getting as members (even those still within their free 30-day trial) get to enjoy an exclusive 30-minute early access period to all Amazon’s Lightning Deals, which are subject to availability and start at a particular time.
Opening times: If you plan on visiting a certain store, check out its opening hours and make sure you’re there in good time to beat the crowds. Some stores, like Tesco, are planning to open early this year.
Research: If you’re after a certain product, work out what model you want first. Look at customer reviews, get your head around the jargon, and make sure you’re happy with the specifications ahead of time. This will save you time and ensure you end up with a product that you’re happy with.
Mobile: Experts predict many Black Friday sales will be done via mobile this year, so download store apps and get your payment details loaded up in advance.